Transfer Policies

Transfer and Award of Academic Credit

College transfer credits are determined by the receiving institution. Each institution is responsible for determining its own policies and practices with regard to the transfer and award of credit. It is the receiving institution’s responsibility to provide reasonable and definitive policies and procedures for determining a student’s knowledge in required subject areas. International Sports Sciences Association will furnish transcripts and other documents necessary for a receiving institution to judge the quality and quantity of the work completed by its students. Be advised that the work reflected on the transcript may or may not be accepted by a receiving institution.

Transfer Credit

Credit transfer depends on:

1. The educational quality of the institution from which the student transfers.

2. The comparability of the nature, content, and level of credit earned.

3. The appropriateness and applicability of the credit earned to the programs offered by the receiving institution, in light of the student’s educational goals.

Accreditation: Accreditation speaks primarily to the first of these considerations, serving as the basic indicator that an institution meets certain minimum standards. International Sports Sciences Association gives careful attention to the accreditation conferred by accrediting bodies recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA and/or the U.S. Department of Education (USDE). CHEA is a non-profit organization of colleges and universities that has a formal process of recognition that requires recognized accrediting bodies to meet the same, generally accepted minimum standards for accreditation. USDE has a governmental process of recognition that requires recognized accrediting bodies to meet federal standards ensuring that education provided by accredited institutions of higher education meets acceptable levels of quality.

Comparability and Applicability: Comparability of the nature, content, and level of transfer credit and the appropriateness and applicability of the credit earned in programs offered by the receiving institution are important in the evaluation process. This information is obtained from catalogs and other materials and from direct contact between staff at both the receiving and sending institutions.

Admissions and Degree Purposes: There may be differences between the acceptance of credit for admission purposes and the applicability of credit for degree purposes. A receiving institution may accept previous work, place a credit value on it, and enter it on the transcript. However, that previous work, because of its nature and not its inherent quality, may be determined to have no applicability to a specific degree to be pursued by the student.

Unaccredited Institutions: Institutions of postsecondary education that are not accredited by CHEA-recognized accrediting bodies may lack that status for reasons unrelated to questions of quality. Such institutions, however, cannot provide a reliable, third-party assurance that they meet or exceed minimum standards. That being the case, students transferring from such institutions may encounter special problems in gaining admission and in transferring credits to accredited institutions.

Foreign Institutions: In most cases, foreign institutions are chartered and authorized by their national governments, usually through a ministry of education. Although this provides for standardization within a country, it does not produce useful information about comparability from one country to another. The Council on International Education Exchange, Council on Evaluation of Foreign Credentials, National Liaison Committee on Foreign Student Admissions and National Association of Foreign Student Affairs can assist with information or guidelines on admission and course placement of foreign students. Equivalency or placement recommendations are evaluated in terms of programs and policies of the individual receiving institution.

Validation of Extra-Institutional and Experiential Learning for Transfer Purposes: Transfer-of-credit policies encompass educational accomplishment attained in extra-institutional settings as well as at accredited postsecondary institutions. Recommendations provided by the American Council on Education’s Office, credit-by-examination programs, and the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning help to determine credit equivalencies for various modes of extra-institutional learning.

What this means to you

International Sports Sciences Association accepts previous general education and elective coursework from an institution that is (or was at the time the course was completed) accredited by an organization recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or CHEA. Transfer credit is only applied to the Associate’s Degree program and is not accepted for certificate completion. The required major courses for the Associate’s Degree program must be completed through International Sports Sciences Association and cannot be transferred in.

Transferable coursework from outside institutions must be:

• Relevant (a logical addition to your course of study)

• Reliable (accredited institution, military education, CLEP, AP, etc.)

• Verifiable (via official transcripts)

• General education or electives

• Completed with a grade of C or higher

Here are the types of credit accepted:

• Relevant undergraduate general education or electives completed with a C or higher from an institution accredited by an organization recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or CHEA

•Credit by Examination including:

Chauncey Group International - DSST Program (formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)*
Excelsior College Exams (formerly ACT-PEP, formerly Regents College Exams)
College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Program

• Professional Military Education (non-academic experience and training) evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) as academic credit.

* Please Note: International Sports Sciences Association’s school code for the CLEP examination is: 4898.

Credit earned in repeatable required courses may be applied only once to the degree requirements.

Some study abroad programs, upon approval, may satisfy some general education and/or elective requirements.

Relevant experiential learning as gained through the military and evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) for undergraduate credit can satisfy some general education or elective requirements. Official military transcripts are required. This institution does not award credit for any other prior experiential learning.

Credit awarded for experiential or equivalent learning cannot exceed 25 percent of the credits required for a degree.

Articulation Agreements

International Sports Sciences Association holds articulation agreements with:

• California University of Pennsylvania (CAL U)

• Huntington College of Health Sciences (HCHS)

• American College of Healthcare Sciences USA (ACHS), Portland, OR and

• Waldorf College, Forest City, IA

California University of Pennsylvania (CAL U)

International Sports Sciences Association and CAL U acknowledge their shared mission to provide quality higher education programs, which meet the needs of the region and provide a workforce of highly trained residents. Graduates of the AS in Exercise Science program will qualify for junior standing upon admission to CAL U’s BS in Sport Management with a concentration in Wellness & Fitness program, provided students earn a grade of C or higher in transferable classes. This agreement does not exclude students from transferring to majors other than Sport Management with a concentration in Wellness & Fitness. Students, on an individual basis, will have opportunity to test out or submit portfolio for additional credits.

Huntington College of Health Sciences (HCHS)

Graduates of the AS in Exercise Science program who have not matriculated at any other institution of higher education are guaranteed transfer admission to HCHS's BS in Nutrition program. A maximum of 60 semester credit hours from International Sports Sciences Association will be allowed toward fulfillment of the 129 semester credit hours required for baccalaureate completion.

American College of Healthcare Sciences USA (ACHS)

ACHS accepts core courses (PTR) with a grade of B or higher for transfer credit. The student must successfully complete all admission requirements and enroll as a new student at ACHS within five years following completion at International Sports Sciences Association to receive transfer credit under this agreement. Upon enrolling at ACHS and submitting official International Sports Sciences Association transcripts, the ACHS Registrar will note the appropriate award of credit to the student’s transcript without additional charge. This credit will be recorded as “Transfer Credit” on the academic transcript and will be excluded when calculating the student’s grade-point average. There will be no cost to the student for Transfer Credit obtained in this manner. Please be aware that the administrative fee structure at ACHS is subject to change.

Waldorf College

Waldorf will evaluate theInternational Sports Sciences Association’s courses submitted by applicants for credit transfer consideration. A maximum of 32 semester hours in the Associate’s Degree program or 84 semester hours in the Bachelor’s Degree programs may be transferred into Waldorf, providing they are relevant and in alignment with the applicable degree program. Acceptance of courses and credits from the International Sports Sciences Association and other accredited institutions are evaluated by the Registrar according to the nature and quality of the coursework. A minimum GPA of 2.0 from the transferring institution is required for admission into Waldorf.

Under this agreement, students of the International Sports Sciences Association entering Waldorf ’s On Campus programs will have the standard application fee waived and receive a $500 scholarship toward the first year’s tuition.

Students entering Waldorf ’s On Campus Programs with less than 50 semester hours of credit transfer will be required to reside on campus.

Articulation agreements are subject to change. Confirm the terms of these agreements with the articulating institution before you enroll.